Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Book Chat - Film Adaptations

Photobucket

Linking up again this Thursday with Jessica from Sweet Green Tangerine


Most of the time I don't really enjoy when a book is turned in to a movie. They tend to leave things out. It ruins the image I had of the characters in my mind. They just seem to lack something. If a movie is coming out and it is based on a book I always try to read the book first.



I loved The Time Traveler's Wife. My mom and I rented the movie and I settled in ready to watch. My mom had not read the book. I spent A LOT of time explaining things because so much was left out. I still really liked the movie but I preferred the book.


Oh the Twilight series. I absolutely loved the books. I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next one. And then came the movies. Honestly if I hadn't read the books and only seen that first movie I would not watch the other ones. It wasn't what I hoped it would be. 


*** SPOILERS***
I had the same issue with The Hunger Games. I wanted the movie to be so amazing because I liked the book so much. I raved about the book to Joey. I told him he just had to watch the movie with me. It just didn't live up to my expectations. It really bothered me that they left something out at the end that I thought was pretty important. In the book, Katniss realizes that the Capitol has spliced parts of the former tributes into the mutant beasts that attack near the end of the movie. In the film version, the dogs are just over-sized dog beasts. I think it was a pretty big part to leave out. I think it shows just how sick and twisted the games are. The whole deceased players turned mutants thing plays a  part in the sequels so I don't really know how the films will deal with those situations....unless they leave them out entirely. I was put off by all the moments in the movie where they would just play a musical piece and nothing would be happening. I kept sitting there thinking, "Why are we just sitting here watching you stare off to space for 5 minutes?" They did do a good job capturing the feel of the book. The sets for the games and for Katniss's district were just as I pictured.  I didn't hate the movie but I also didn't love it.


It's so hard for me to think of a  movie that I liked just as much as the book!



Pride and Prejudice. I read this book a very long time ago. I've seen the movie 3 times now. I happen to enjoy the movie more than the book. There's just something about the way they speak and seeing their clothes that I just love. I want to step in to that story and stay a while. I want a man to talk to me like that! I just love love love it!



Yes! That's Harry Potter. Don't laugh. I love it. I first read the books when I was much younger. Book by book as they were released.  I recently re-read the whole series. I think I love it now more than I did way back then. I also really like the movies. If I never read the books and just went to see the movies I would still really enjoy them. I'll actually watch the movies when they come on ABC Family because I like them so much. If that makes me a little dorky...that's ok =)


Anna, Anna, Anna. I have tried to read this book twice. I read a few chapters, put it down, and there it sits unread in my kindle.  Maybe it's because I've heard it's such a "hard read" and that intimidates me. I've heard that once you get in to the book you can't put it down. I haven't made it that far yet...
I'm excited for the new film adaptation.  I want to read the book. I really do. But I fear that seeing the movie will be about as far as I'll get. Every time I see the movie trailer I do get inspired to go read the book...So we'll see.





It's hard to take a great book and make it a great movie. 




2 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVED the HG movie, but I was VERY skeptical after what Hollywood did to Twilight. lol I agree with the Time Travelers Wife. I thought the movie was okay but the book was still better. I can't wait for the Anna Karenina movie! I love Keira Knightley

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made some great choices and some fantastic points about why none of these matched up to the books. I mean, I agree, especially about Hunger Games and Time Traveler's Wife, but I must admit I've come to expect these things from adaptations so I try not to let it phase me AS much. Great list though, and loved finding your blog through the book chat! :D You can find my post over at melissalivinglife.com, if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...