Monday, August 12, 2013

Birthmarked (Book Review)



I'm ashamed to say it but I tend to judge a book by it's cover. When I'm strolling through aisles and aisles of books the nice covers call to me. The not so nice ones scream, "Don't pick me up! I'm not worth your time!" When I saw Birthmarked the cover was pretty, gritty, mysterious....I had to pick it up. After reading what it was about I quickly added it to my stack of books to bring home.

From Goodreads:
IN THE ENCLAVE, YOUR SCARS SET YOU APART, and the newly born will change the future.
In the future, in a world baked dry by the harsh sun, there are those who live inside the walled Enclave and those, like sixteen-year-old Gaia Stone, who live outside. Following in her mother's footsteps Gaia has become a midwife, delivering babies in the world outside the wall and handing a quota over to be "advanced" into the privileged society of the Enclave. Gaia has always believed this is her duty, until the night her mother and father are arrested by the very people they so loyally serve. Now Gaia is forced to question everything she has been taught, but her choice is simple: enter the world of the Enclave to rescue her parents, or die trying.
A stunning adventure brought to life by a memorable heroine, this dystopian debut will have readers racing all the way to the dramatic finish.


From the back cover:
"You can't take my baby. She's mine."
"You'll have others. You'll get to keep some. I promise."
"Please. Not this one. Not my only. What have I done?"
"You've provided a great service to the Enclave."

Gaia grows up in a land outside "The Wall" called Wharfton. On the other side of the wall, guarded by gates and soldiers, is the Enclave. Gaia is following in her mother's footsteps as a midwife. Every month the midwives have to bring the first 3 babies they deliver to the Enclave. Knowing that the children who grow up inside the guarded walls have privileges like running water, nice clothes, and plenty of food make this task easier. 

One day a guard is waiting for Gaia at her house. Her parents have been arrested. They've been accused of keeping a record of the babies that have been "advanced" to The Enclave. As far as Gaia knows her parents have done nothing but faithfully serve the Enclave. As time passes and they don't return she forms a plan to find them and bring them home. 

Once inside the wall Gaia quickly sees the difference between her world and this privileged one. It's not too long until the truth behind why the babies must be given to the Enclave is revealed. She also finds that maybe her parents did have something to hide. Maybe the marks her and her mother placed on each baby they gave to the enclave have a special meaning. 

Gaia's adventure in the Enclave is exciting and kept me turning page after page. Will she find her parents in time? Will she figure out the connection to the marked babies? Where will her discoveries lead her?

I really enjoyed reading this book. I didn't realize until I was almost finished with it that it is the first book in a trilogy! I'm very excited to read the other two books. I NEED to know the rest of the story! I haven't LOVED a book in a while. I'm hoping this is only the beginning and that I'll love the other books too. 
I already love the covers... ;)

Prized BOOK #2

Promised BOOK #3



3 comments:

  1. They redesigned these covers and I love them! I still need to read the third book. The events of the first book still haunt me. SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your not alone I judge a book by its cover as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so not alone in judging books by their covers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...