Thursday, August 22, 2013

Do you do "chick lit"? - The Book Chat

Photobucket
I used to read a lot of what is defined as "chick lit". In the last few years the types of books I read have changed. Well maybe not changed. I still read chick lit books but now I also read several other kinds of books. I can't read a ton of chick lit books back to back because they get a little repetitive, I think.  Girl has problem...Girl goes through finding ways to solve problem...Girl solves problem.

My favorite CL author is Jennifer Weiner. I really do love her. I've rarely been disappointed with one of her books. My favorite book of hers is Goodnight Nobody. It's a CL story with some mystery mixed in.



 From Goodreads:

For Kate Klein, a semi-accidental mother of three, suburbia has been full of unpleasant surprises. Her once-loving husband is hardly ever home. The supermommies on the playground routinely snub her. Her days are spent carpooling and enduring endless games of Candy Land, and at night, most of her orgasms are of the do-it-yourself variety.

When a fellow mother is murdered, Kate finds that the unsolved mystery is the most exciting thing to happen in Upchurch, Connecticut, since her neighbors broke ground for a guesthouse and cracked their septic tank. Even though the local police chief warns her that crime-fighting's a job best left to the professionals, Kate launches an unofficial investigation -- from 8:45 to 11:30 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, when her kids are in nursery school.

As Kate is drawn deeper into the murdered woman's past, she begins to uncover the secrets and lies behind Upchurch's picket-fence facade -- and considers the choices and compromises all modern women make as they navigate between marriage and independence, small towns and big cities, being a mother and having a life of one's own.


Do you have a favorite chick lit author? A favorite book? Do you like chick lit? Hate it?
Link up with the book chat!

8 comments:

  1. I can't believe I've never read this book- I love Jennifer Weiner too. I like to break up the kinds of books I read too. Not too much happy and not too much angst or I get too moody too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this book on my shelf for so long! I don't know why I haven't picked it up. I know how much you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your summary of CL (girl has problem...). Although I think it's essentially any storyline ever.. add more or less details and that's what really makes the difference hehe. When I teach narrative text to my student I always remind them that If there is no problem, there is no story. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im a fan of chick lit but as Iv gotten older some of the books Iv attempted to read are truly cringeworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely agree, some of the books labeled as chick lit are so repetitive and 100% always have a happy ending - the heroine has the job and man and life she wants. Womp, womp. It definitely gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always look at her books but never actually read one even though they look really interesting, I should probably get on that haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Girl has problem...Girl goes through finding ways to solve problem...Girl solves problem." You know, after all the research I did looking for a definition, I think you hit the nail on the head! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer Weiner is one author I really want to try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...